Postdoc (w/m/d) A25/21The University of Bremen, SOCIUM – Research Center on Inequality and Social Policy, Department “Dynamics of Inequality in Welfare Societies”, Working Group Comparative Study of Societies (Prof. Dr. Patrick Sachweh) invites applications for the following position (under the condition of job release): Postdoctoral Research Associates (f/m/d) German pay-scale EG 13 TV-L, Full time (100%), 18 months. Start of contract as soon as possible.
The University of Bremen, SOCIUM – Research Center on Inequality and Social Policy, Department “Dynamics of Inequality in Welfare Societies”, Working Group Comparative Study of Societies (Prof. Dr. Patrick Sachweh) invites applications for the following position (under the condition of job release):
Postdoctoral Research Associates (f/m/d)
German pay-scale EG 13 TV-L,
Full time (100%), 18 months
Start of contract as soon as possible
The University of Bremen, a mid-sized university with 320 professors, 19.500 students and a full-spectrum of academic disciplines is one of Europe’s leading research universities and maintains close cooperation with international universities and non-university research institutions in the region. The promotion of young researchers is a core element of Bremen's research strategy.
The position is associated with the project “Corona Crisis Narratives – Framing Economic Imaginaries post-2020 (CoroNarrate)”, funded by the Volkswagen Foundation. Using computational social science methods, the projects examines how the economic consequences of the Corona crisis are contested in the German and the Italian public (in a comparative perspective). Special attention is paid to the question of how notions of a fair and sustainable economic order are negotiated in this process.
- Examining public debates on the socio-economic consequences of the Corona-crisis; analyzing large textual corporea (newspapers and Twitter content) by drawing on computational social science methods
- Developing a method of analysis
- Developing a comparative framework for researching crisis-related debates in Germany and Italy
- Publishing the findings in international and national scientific outlets
- Presenting the findings at international and national conferences, professional meetings, workshops, etc.
- A completed (or near-completed), high quality doctoral degree in sociology or a related social science field in economic sociology, political economy, culture and economy, preferably with an international-comparative methodology
- Excellent skills and experience in the area of computational social science methods
- Proficiency with and experience in the area of social media research
- Excellent command of German and/or Italian
- Very good command of English
- Openness to combine quantitative and qualitative methods
- Demonstrated evidence of initiative, the ability to work in groups, and a commitment to cooperation with other researchers
Further desired skills:
- Experience in combining quantitative and qualitative methods
- Experience in social network analysis
- Experience and commitment to interdisciplinary cooperation
The University of Bremen has received a number of awards for its gender and diversity policies and is particularly aiming to increase the number of female researchers. Applications from female candidates, international applications and applications of academics with a migration background are explicitly welcome. Disabled persons with the same professional and personal qualifications will be given preference.
Applications and inquiries should be sent by April 21nd, 2021, please include the usual application materials (a cover letter explaining your motivation to apply, CV including a list of publications etc., copies of transcripts) citing the reference number A25/21 to
SOCIUM – Forschungszentrum Ungleichheit und Sozialpolitik
Frau Dorit Lafferenz
Postfach 33 04 40
or electronically as PDF-attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.