Shanghai Jiao Tong University

Within the Master Social Policy there is the possibility to spend a semester abroad in Shanghai, China. In addition, it is possible to complete a second, shortened master's degree in China, following the studies in Bremen.

Since 2013, the Department of Political Science has a cooperation agreement with the Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Each year, a few students of the master programs "Political Science" and "Social Policy" can spend a semester as an exchange student in Shanghai. The Chinese study fees will be waived for the exchange semester.


The semester abroad at the University in Shanghai requires the following:

  • a proof in English (B2 in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
  • at least two completed semesters in the Master Social Policy, as well as
  • the successful participation of the English course "English for European Labour Studies and Social Policy" in the second term.

In addition, it is possible to study in Shanghai for one year and to acquire a second master after finishing the master program in Bremen. Due to the master degree in Bremen, the master program in Shanghai, which normally takes two years, is shortened by one year.


Contact for the program is Janna Wolff, e-mail:

However, if you are interested in an exchange semester within the Master Social Policy, please contact Caroline Warfelmann beforehand.